Thursday, February 21, 2013

Spontaneous Roadtrip: Long Beach, Washington

Ooooh there is nothing I love more than spontaneous road trips!! The other day I was sick of the city, feeling the itch of the travel bug coming up and stirring my soul!!! So after church on Sunday my au pair friend and I took off driving South of Seattle, I had in mind Long Beach, but I wasn't quite certain because the weather was changeable and there had been forecasts for rain. Anyway, we just kept on driving and it seemed the weather was holding up well, in fact it was almost sunny at several points! So we continued and continued the full 3 and a half hours that it took to drive there, we passed through the Oregon township of Astoria on the way and got to go over the lovely Megler-Astoria bridge (it was not my first time, I've been to Astoria before, but none the less exciting the second time around!) 

Oregon

We pulled up to the seaside village of Long Beach, the weather was perfect! We immediately headed to the beach. Long Beach claims to be the longest beach in the world......


............buuuuttt actually it is not! When I got there I was looking at it and I was thinking that hmmm yes its long but I was not convinced that it was the longest beach in the world, and after a quick google search it turns out that it is not the longest beach, and in fact some of the longest beaches in the world are in fact in New Zealand, Australia, South America and Bangladesh. So I was right! Haha! But, it tries to be more accurate in claiming to be the "World's Longest Continuous Peninsula Beach", and also claims to the world's longest drivable beach. Well, I didn't need to be told twice, a beach I could drive on, I was there! haha. We pulled up to the beach carpark and I just drove right onto the beach, we had an absolute blast driving up and down the beach! My trusty Stallion with its 4wheel drive meant that I wasn't afraid of getting stuck in the sand. Oh it was so much fun, we turned the music up loud, sang out at the top of our lungs and tore that sand up!

Whoohooo!



After our sand trekking adventures we parked the car and walked along the boardwalk in the grass.



We walked up to the water, it was beautiful.


I decided that since I was wearing gumboots I was going to walk right into the sea, so I did! It was great, until I was posing for a photo and a wave came behind me and caught me off guard and my boots were filled with water! I had to make the walk of shame and defeat back to the sand, with my soaking wet and squelching boots. My friend never let me live it down! haha.

Walking in the water with my wet boots, still smiling!

As we continued walking down the beach we found some old whale bones found by an explorer over a hundred years ago, and I have to say, they were still in pretty good shape considering they are out there in the elements with all the salt and everything.

Whale bones to the left

Great day at the beach!

We wandered slowly back to the car and then drove back down the beach (teehee) and went to the township, looked through the shops and this funny roadside museum called Marsh's Free Museum, similar to Wall Drug in South Dakota - filled with random obscurities (and FREE! haha it got my attention). It sure made for some fun! 



As time went on we left and began the trip back to Seattle. It was such a good time! It made me feel so liberated!!! I need to feel that. I get too bogged down in everyday life and routine and I just feel the need to break out! After all, I am a traveller :).

No comments:

Post a Comment