Monday, July 9, 2012

Swiss Adventures: Geneva

I was working just a half day the other Saturday so I decided to take the opportunity and go to Geneva! I had had a neat morning, the kids were great, the weather was great- one of those mornings where time flies by (they're not all like that, believe me).

I arrived in Geneva with a photograph of a map with a few sights marked on it stored on my camera. I walked around the lake front and saw the magnificent fountain - the largest in the world spraying 7 tonnes of water up in the air! It was a perfect day, the weather was magnificent. I strolled along the streets, popping into little shops of interest and getting some food supplies from good old Migros, the major supermarket chain here. 



I walked through the enchanting old town of Geneva - spiralling little alleys, all cobbled and oozing with character. I had just reached the cathedral when I heard some music and followed the sound down to a little courtyard with a stage set up. Curiosity got me and I spotted a free program of events: turns out there was a free music festival on the day I was there! I studied the performances schedules, hardly believing my luck! Stages were set up all over the city with music covering every genre you could imagine. So I went on my way, exploring the city with new eyes, heading to places and parks I would not normally have. This is my ultimate travelling dream: I love going a bit off the beaten path and seeing things you don't normally see. 




a choir performing at the stately cathedral - the acoustics in the building were amazing, it was like beholding angels singing

an all female yodelling chorus (yes that's right, they just stood there in their costumes and yodelled)

Reformation Wall in Geneva


Hot chocolate as the orchestra warms up!

awesome feel-good Reggae bands

I also saw an avante garde dance troupe and a big band performing in the beautiful old museum building

It was a truly spectacular day, I left in the evening with the glowing evening sun, the smell of delicious street vendors, the chatter of people revelling in the festival, and the sound of bands playing. Could it get much better than that? I don't think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment