Thursday, July 12, 2012

Swiss Adventures: Interlaken, Luzern & Zurich

One epic Sunday I decided to pack in a huge chunk of Switzerland - Interlaken, Luzern and Zurich. I caught the 6.25 train and arrived at Interlaken at 8.30, it was an early morning for sure, but so worth it! I had a list of train timetables between each city and had my timing worked out perfectly to be able to spend a decent amount of time in each place. 

Interlaken/Lake Brienz

Interlaken is almost the centre of Switzerland, a small town nestled inbetween two lakes. I had planned to spend an hour and a half looking around the town, but it just so happened that when I got off the train I saw there was a boat about to leave, going to the eastern side of Lake Brienz, and what was even better was that the boat would be free with my Eurail Pass! I was thrilled! So I had a brief look around the area until it was time to catch my boat. It was spectacular on the water, there were so many interesting things to see, and best of all, when I got to the town of Brienz, I was able to sync up with my train to Luzern!


Town church

Lovely flowers all around this town!

Foreboding looking clouds on the lake!


Such interesting colours and silhouettes with these heavy clouds!

The town of Brienz and Lake Brienz, taken from the train.

Luzern

Luzern had not originally been on my 'list' to visit, but I had read so many good things about it on the internet that I decided I had to give it a shot. Boy am I glad I did!!! Luzern was something very special, I really loved the little city. It had such character and charm, I couldn't help but smile with enjoyment as I walked the streets. 

Story-book scenes!



Beautiful interior of the Jesuit church


After looking around the streets for a little while, I headed uphill to the old Museggmauer - or town wall - built in 1383 with a commanding view of the town. Here in Luzern you can climb up the wall and enter into the towers for free! It was so neat, looking out over Lake Luzern. 

Taken from the wall


Huge clockface in the wall tower - took up the entire room! 
After climbing down from the wall I made my way across town to the famous Lowendenkmal or Lion monument - carved into a limestone cliff here in 1821 as a memorial to the fallen Swiss Guards who were defending the palace of King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette during the French Revolution in Paris, when the palace was stormed by angry working-class, 700 guards were killed - but the bad blood came out when they learnt that the Royals were not even in the palace!!! The Swiss Guards were employed in Paris because of their trustworthiness and neutral political stance, apparently, the Swiss guards are employed even at the Vatican to protect the Pope! As I walked back from the Lion monument to the train station to go to my next destination, I was passed on the street by a hilarious sight - a novelty miniature tourist train, all painted up and colourful, carrying a full load of sombre-faced adults! They all looked so sad and gloomy while sitting on this joyfully toy-like train, the paradox was hilarious!!!

The lion in the cliff

Zurich

By the time I got to Zurich, the foreboding clouds that had followed me the length of the country finally broke and it started raining - not just normal rain, we're talking the bring-your-shampoo-because-you're-having-a-shower kind of rain!!! The streets and sidewalks flooded in minutes. I am by no means put off by rain. I had a rain jacket and an umbrella, I was good to go, but then my feet were swimming in water and I was feeling cold, so I decided to drastically cull my 'to visit' list for Zurich, and instead became determined to go to the art museum. The art museum was located a little outside of the original old town. I struggled through the intense rain and flooding and made it to the art gallery. I was so thrilled to be there!!!

The town

Amazing church doors on the Grossmunster

The art museum was really something special to behold. I went through the old masters, seeing paintings over 600 years old, and in such well preserved condition - such bright colours! I then went into galleries of impressionists - beholding the beauty of 6 metre long Monet artworks; seeing the big names in the art world: Picasso, Van Gogh, Cezanne, and Matisse to name a few. It was truly magical. By the time I left the rain had died down a little - to a more normal amount and I was able to walk without feeling like I was in a bath. By that time I was tired and wet and cold and I had absolutely no desire to see any more of Zurich. I walked towards the train station via the river, and was amused as I followed a very tall man into a very small pedestrian tunnel! I bought dinner at the train station and enjoyed my 2 hour train back home!

6m x 2m Monet

Another 6m Monet!

Recognise this face?

Up close and personal with Monet!

No comments:

Post a Comment