Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Around Seattle: Sharing Seattle with my Mum!!

After not seeing her for almost a year and a half, I was so blessed to have my mum and her partner, Basil, come and visit me right here in Seattle! 
It was neat to be able to show her around 'my' city, take them to all my favourite places and cafes. We were lucky to get some good weather too! Here are a few of the must-see places that I took them to...

Gas works park! My favourite park with the best city skyline view of the Seattle downtown!

We also spent some time in Fremont to visit the Theo chocolate factory (yum yum), see the Lenin statue, the famous troll under the bridge and other outdoor sculptures.

Greenlake! My second favourite place! We walked, chatted and drank coffee all in true Seattle style (actually, I don't drink coffee - chai latte for me!). We brought the twins with us but for whatever reason, the poor dears were tired and grumpy pretty much the whole time, so we carried them a lot - lucky kids!

Ahhh Greenlake on a beautiful day!

Of course what tour of Seattle could be complete without a visit to Pike Place Market! We had a good nosey around, sampling the sights, smells and tastes of the market.

We also saw the waterfront area, and Ballard neighbourhood. We stopped for a drink in the Kangaroo & Kiwi - a New Zealand/Australian pub right here in Seattle! It was so familiar, just like being at home in New Zealand - it was almost a little strange!

Edmonds is also a lovely little village just North of Seattle, and close to where I live, Corinne and Basil stayed in a hotel there and I was thrilled because Edmonds is a great place, right on the beach, full of charm, fairy lights, boutique shops and cafes. They were even able to take the ferry to Kingston to have a nice wander and a brunch.

There is so much to see in Seattle, and unfortunately I was still working, so I could not show them everything - of course, it would be impossible to cram everything into only a few days anyway. I tried to take them to Seattle's famous Paseo sandwich shack, but it was closed (always my luck)! But Corinne and Basil were buoyant spirits, and they happily went along with the places I took them, as well as planned their own outings. They visited the Boeing factory and went to the Flying Heritage Collection in Everett. They also went to a motorbike get together outside a bar in Ballard - I say good on them for getting around and about - Lord knows its not easy in Seattle with public transport!

As larger excursions, I took them to the San Juan Islands and also on a roadtrip around the North Cascade Loop, which were fabulous and I will make separate posts about. I loved being the ambassador and tour guide of Seattle! I love this city!

No comments:

Post a Comment