Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Daily Schedule of an Au Pair

As an au pair, people often overlook the lesser-known facts of the au pair life - the work related injuries! So here for your interest and edification, here is a general schedule of events in my day, noting any injuries acquired on the job....

7.30am - Start preparing breakfast for children

7.45am - Being towel-flicked by older children (pain and bruises ensue) 

10.00am - Riding bikes outside

10.05am - Children repeatedly crashing bikes into my shins (scratches and bruises all over)

2.00pm - Take children to the pool

2.20pm - Children splash me until I am drenched (cold and wet)

4.00pm - Children pretend to be crocodiles 

4.01pm - Crocodiles eat my feet and legs and steal my socks (bruises and cold feet)

5.00pm - Karaoke with children

5.05pm - Children scream repeatedly in my ears (deafened)

5.30pm - Children begin climbing up me

5.31pm - Children successfully climb up me and grab tightly to my hair to remain stable (bruises and hair-loss)

6.30pm - Eating dinner 

6.35pm - Children begin occasionally wiping their grubby hands and noses on my pants and top (dirty clothing)

7.30pm - Getting ready for bed

7.31pm - Children kick me in the face while I put on their bedtime diapers. (bruises and potentially broken nose)

8.00pm - Children asleep, assess damage and bruises on my body, rest for next day. 

HAHAHA. It's true, I am constantly abused in my job, but Oh I do love my kiddos!!!! For every bruise they give me, they also give me a bucketload of kisses and cuddles!  

5 comments:

  1. hay Gina
    just wondering if I could get your email address?
    im just in the middle of applying to be an au pair in the states aswel and just wanted to ask you some quick questions if you have time,

    cheers.
    emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma,
      I would love to answer your questions! My email is gina.matheson @ gmail.com :) Look forward to hearing from you.
      Gina

      Delete
  2. Hahahah I love this!! So true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi :)
    I'll be soon an au pair in the US! I'll arrive on July 22nd and will live in Arlington, VA.
    If you want to follow my experience, this is my blog: http://italianaupair-usa.blogspot.it/
    xoxo
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great time Anna! Hope your first weeks are going well! I will definitely check out your blog! :)
      Gina

      Delete