Thursday, July 28, 2011

Doors Opening

Time progressed, and slowly, one by one all the 'issues' and excuses I had identified began to look more achievable and not so difficult after all. I managed to find some time to fit in the doctor's appointment, booked my driving test (and got it!), completed my host family letter and photo album. Every night after work I would try and fill out a little bit more of the application.

It looked like all the doors were opening! I began busily researching about what would happen to my interest free student loan, and found out that if I let the IRD know of my departure date they would automatically put me on a repayment holiday for the duration of my time away! Even better news was that I would only have to pay interest on my loan for the year I was gone - when I got back it would return to being interest free! It was a great load off my mind. I started to google things about America, it was very exciting to think that soon I could be there! 

I also had no idea how I was going to pay for all the costs associated with the program on my meager salary as a teacher aide, but just kept believing that "if it's God's will, it's God's bill". 

Sure enough, in the last week of the term I got a call from a school offering me a job finishing at the end of the year. Not only a job, but my dream job - full time teaching, but not simply in a classroom - I would be working one on one with special needs children, doing a little bit of relieving, and working with children in small groups to enrich their language development. It would be a properly paid position and the two terms that I worked would be taken off my teaching registration time. I was thrilled. Now I did not have to worry so much about being able to afford it, and because it was coming off my teaching registration I no longer felt worried about putting the registration on pause next year. Another great thing was that the position finishes at the end of the year, so I wouldn't have to resign or anything in order to go on this program. It was all falling into place. 

I finished my application and took it in to the office and had a brief interview. Now everything is done on my part, once my referees come back from being overseas and are contacted I will be finally ready to be matched with a family! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment