Monday, January 23, 2012

Family Life: Week One

Lately it has been snowing A LOT! It is so so rare for Seattle to have snow, so I was just really enjoying it and feeling very privileged! All the kids have been off school so it has given me a great chance to get to know them. We went sledding down the street and having snowball fights and all sorts of things! I have only been here a few days but already I love it, I love being with the kids and being entrenched with the family - not having to cook dinner is also a high point!

I am looking after 5 kids -
2 year old twins
A 5 year old girl who has Down's Syndrome
An 8 year old boy
and a 10 year old boy.

The parents and I get along well, the kids are real treasures and are all really lovely. I enjoy my work schedule,I like my room and feel very at home. The snow has meant I couldn't go out much, but I managed to go downtown briefly and it was really awesome, the Pike Place Market - world famous in Seattle- is every bit as wonderful as I was told. I will have to go back there sometime soon!

I have also been getting used to driving their cars (on the other side of the road!). It feels pretty natural to me and I have had a fairly easy transition, however I still always look behind me the wrong way when backing out, and often turn the windscreen wipers on instead of the indicator haha old habits die hard! I have the use of a smaller can they have which is a manual transmission, so I just need to regain confidence in driving them and then I will be all good (it has been years since I've driven a manual!).




 Making patterns in the snow!




Snowball fights!

Looking forward to getting more involved in social things in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment