Sunday, January 15, 2012

Leaving New Zealand

It's been a little while since my last post and there are many things to report so I will do them one topic at a time, I begin with "leaving New Zealand".

So, it takes time and effort to tie up all the loose ends in order to leave the country for a whole year, I had to shut down things, open new things, pack, sort, throw away, cancel subscriptions, visit family and friends etc, etc. I found the packing to be the worst and I procrastinated like anything! It was challenging at first to think about packing for a whole year, and I really like to pack lightly so it was a struggle for me to even consider packing the  "non essential/sentimental" things that I wanted to bring. I packed solely for the season I was going into, and since it is the middle of winter it meant lots of warm things, coats, thermals etc. They took up a lot of room and were heavy too! I was pretty ruthless about what I chose since you can easily buy new things in the States. Even so, when I got to the airport I still felt like a bag lady with my big pack, my laptop bag, my ukulele and my carry on bag! 

I had time to catch up with all my friends individually before I left and had everything crossed off my huge to-do list by the time I was at the airport. Having a list made everything easier and meant that nothing was forgotten, even though it was so long and intimidating at the beginning! 

I left New Zealand feeling really good about going to my new home, and feeling free from any burdens of things in New Zealand. It was a terrific feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment