Sunday, January 15, 2012

Orientation

So, after a 31 hour flight with 3 stopovers I finally arrived in New York! Wow what a buzz! I headed to the hotel and got all the information about what was happening from InterExchange. I had the rest of the day to explore on my own, so I put my things down, had a shower and then went for a walkabout!

New York is a truly fascinating city. I loved it. It was bursting with diversity and life, vivacity and pizza shops. Every street had a different vibe, the people spoke in all different languages and came from all over the world. It was awesome. In our free time, the other au pairs and I went on a walking tour around the city, went to the Empire State Building (right to the 86th floor!), saw the Statue of Liberty, went to Central Park, had dinner in Little Italy, wandered through Chinatown and went to Times Square for some shopping and photo opportunities. So much to see and do, we stretched every minute to see what we did!

The orientation itself was really well organised and structured, it gave us heaps of information about everything we could possibly need over here. Information about driving, health insurance, different rules and laws, travelling, first aid etc. The days were long but they worked really hard to make it interesting for us. I really enjoyed it, and it gave us a chance to get to know some of the other au pairs. In the group there were a total of 35 au pairs, they came from South America, Europe, South Africa and China. Lots of nationalities and lots of languages were represented. Everyone was very friendly and we had fun going out and exploring together!

On the last day of instruction we received our travel information to get to our host family's place, and the very next day we all left at different times to different locations. I had to take a 6 hour plane from New York to Seattle, it was lovely and relaxing. As we flew into Seattle there was the most amazing pink sunset, it filled up the entire sky, it was as if Seattle was saying "Welcome!". My family picked me up from the airport and my journey really began!

No comments:

Post a Comment