Tuesday, June 19, 2012

An Afternoon in France!

A couple of Saturdays ago I had the afternoon off so my couchsurfing friend and I took the ferry from Nyon to Yvoire, France! Yvoire is situated just on the coast of Lake Geneva on the French side and is just a 20 minute ferry ride away. It was beautiful weather and the village was amazing. Yvoire is a very small medieval village, filled with rustic old stone buildings, castles, flowers, beautiful old houses covered in growing vines.


Leaving the port

goodbye Switzerland!


The amazing chateau at Yvoire

Walking around, I felt like I was in a movie set, it was so beautiful and rustic it felt surreal. Everything was so quaint and charming. Look at the pictures and be transported into another world!











My favourite picture






We ate ice cream and enjoyed the scenery and the village vibe before heading back to Nyon, where we looked around for a bit. Nyon was a cute little lakeside town, apparently they have great ice cream there, although I never discovered for myself because I had already had ice cream at Yvoire and didn't feel like having more!

After spending some time in Nyon, we headed on to Coppet, a teeny tiny village with a lot of history! We visited the famous 18th century chateau there, it was pink and very modern compared to the other chateaux around here. Actually it was so interesting, because of the history of the castle. It was the palace of Jacques Necker - the minister of finance for France under the rule of King Louis XVI. Jacques had anticipated that the French revolution was coming and had this castle in mind as a safe haven when the inevitable struck. His daughter, Madame de Stael has an interesting story as well - she was an outspoken opposer to Napoleon's plans and because of that, Napoleon himself banished her from France to Coppet! I love history!




No comments:

Post a Comment