Saturday, June 2, 2012

Switzerland: My First Days In Paradise

Let me start off by talking about my journey to Switzerland: my host mother is Swiss, so every few years they take the whole family over to Switzerland. As their lucky au pair, I get to come too! It was a 8 1/2 hour flight from Seattle to London, then 1 1/2 hours from London to Geneva. For me, coming from New Zealand where even Singapore is 10 hours away it was ASTOUNDING to think that it was only 8 1/2 to get to London!! However, while it may seem like a short flight for me, it is a loonng time for 5 children to sit in one place! It was different travelling with children, waiting at the airport was very draining, but the flight itself wasn't too bad - the kids were so good!!! Even the little ones. My host mum, host dad and I each took one of the little ones and once they were fed and changed they all fell asleep fairly easily. Poor Kianna was sick a few times, but apart from that, the kids did really well. When we got to Geneva we were picked up by my host mum's family - it took 3 cars to get us all back! I went with Kianna and my host mum's mother. It was neat to drive through the town, but the best part by far was when she pulled into the driveway and I was able to walk through the house and see the backyard!!! We are staying at my host mum's parents house, and it is amazing! It is a charming house with a huge backyard that overlooks Lake Geneva without obstacle. It has a pool and shady trees, it is the most incredible relaxing place ever! It is so peaceful, birds chirp, the grass is so soft, the colours are so vibrant, the lake is so breathtaking. I immediately felt at home and on holiday. Even the kids have become so relaxed since arriving.





our view from the backyard!! Why would I ever leave the property with a view like this?

Lake Geneva

Today was my first full day in Switzerland. I slept in for a while, then my host mum dropped me at Pully, the village next door to ours, and we went to the station to get some information about which public transport pass I should get, but it was closed. So I said goodbye to my host mum and went off exploring! It was so sunny and beautiful, I walked along the lake front then up through the village of Ouchy to the city of Lausanne. Here's a map of the area:


On the map the 'A' shows my location, in the village of Paudex, and to the left you can see Ouchy there on the lake, and the city of Lausanne just above it. They are not too far away, I walked the entire way and it took me around 3 hours, including time to wander around shops and meander through streets taking photos.
The area is so picturesque, some streets are cobbled, there are cute small shops all over, the place has such a great vibe to it. On my walk I went to a Chocolatier shop and bought a couple of truffles, they were so good! I also walked through a lively market and past some beautiful old churches. What was surprising to me is that here in Switzerland there are vineyards everywhere - and I mean everywhere! If there is some land on a hill made for train tracks, there will be vineyards growing on the side. In fact even our back garden has a mini vineyard. Everywhere you look there is a vineyard!


Cobbled streets leading to exciting little nooks and crannies!


Adorable shop fronts

Lake Geneva 

Ouchy (Pronounced Ooshy)


Market day!



Then this evening I met up with a local couchsurfer and we had gelato and sat on the lake front chatting about travel and things to do around this area. I loveeee Switzerland!



No comments:

Post a Comment