Friday, June 22, 2012

A Day in the Swiss Riviera - The Spectacular Chateau de Chillon

If there is one thing that I love, it is medieval castles! I was pretty excited to see Chateau de Chillon because it is a proper fairy-tale castle complete with moat and drawbridge!!!!  (Although the drawbridge is not actually on it now, it's a permanent bridge but you know what I mean!)

The castle is in a region of Lake Geneva known as the Swiss Riviera, and it is a really beautiful area, I took the train and it went right along the lakefront, it was really stunning. When I got off the train I took a short ferry ride directly to the castle - approaching it from the water was so special, it just popped out of the shoreline and suddenly came into view!


First glimpses of the castle from the water


Wow, it doesn't feel real!

Hidden passageways between rooms 

View from top turret


In the dungeon

Dungeon/prison/torture chamber

Moat!!



No comments:

Post a Comment