Sunday, February 12, 2012

Roadtrip: Deception Pass, Whidbey Island

One of the places my host family highly recommended to me was Deception Pass, a straight between two islands with a towering bridge connecting them and wooded and coastal areas to hike around. They suggested that I then drive the length of the island and take the car ferry from Clinton, a town on Whidbey Island, back to the mainland.

This is the route I took:


As you can see, the last stop is 'F' and that is where I caught the car ferry.

I loved all the little towns along the way, Mount Vernon was a sweet little town, very quaint, and they had a couple of amazing bookshops!
Cute bookshop!



Mt Vernon town




Look what I found! A Matheson building!

My zippy little car! Still thinking of an appropriate name for her.

Deception Pass has an incredible view over all these little islands! The bridge is actually made up of two bridges, they were built in 1934 and have so much charm and character. I was able to park in a little carpark right in the middle of the two bridges where you can look out at the vista, and you can walk underneath the bridge to see the other side! You can also walk over the bridge. I did all of the above!




On each side straddling the pass are national parks where you can take hikes around the different coastal areas and look out at the water and other islands. I went to both parks and did short walks around. It was great scenery and a most enjoyable walk.




I stopped for lunch along the way and drove around the different small towns, went up Mt Erie which is a wooded mountain on Fidalgo Island, went to Anacortes which is the main town on Fidalgo Island and the gateway to the San Juan Islands, also very close to Victoria, BC (Canada!) - I sense another trip coming on!
Coming home I drove down Whidbey Island, I saw a little street of shops all lit up with fairy lights! Then I boarded the ferry at Clinton and came home! It was an excellent day out, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, going on long drives is one of my all time favourite things to do. I had the radio on and I sang the whole way :) 

2 comments:

  1. Gina!!! Had no idea you were doing Au Pair in the USA! How spectacular. Just had a quick whiz through your blog and looks like you are truly seeing some amazing stuff (love the little bookshop!) Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobby! Its crazy the different paths we all end up taking! What are you up to these days?

      Delete