Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Very Special Dinner

The other day when I visited the Pacific Science Centre, I happened to pick up a coupon page at the entrance which had a bunch of deals and discounts around Seattle. One of the coupons was for a free appetizer at a restaurant called El Gaucho, in Bellevue. Well, I happened to be going to Bellevue for an all day workshop, so I thought I would pop in afterwards to claim my free appetizer! 

Before I went, I looked up the restaurant online, and it turned out that this restaurant was extremely posh and  fancy and expensive! The appetizers were around $18-$20 (say whatt????) and the mains varied from $40-$100+ (whatttt!!??!!). So I was going to get a free $18 appetizer! Not a bad deal! Of course, I was concerned that there would be some condition attached, that I would get my free appetizer only by purchasing a main meal or something. Well, it was worth a try, so I parked and asked the maitre d' if there were any conditions to the free appetizer, and she said that no, it was a free appetizer, plain and simple! I was thrilled! 

I was led to my table by a waiter in a tuxedo. He pulled out my chair as I sat down, and asked me if I wanted a black napkin instead of a white one since I was wearing dark clothing, I said that white would be fine (I did not even realise they had options for that sort of thing). As I looked over my menu and gazed wondrously at the gargantuan prices, I was able to relax and enjoy the surroundings. I ordered the beef tenderloin diablo for the appetizer, however, before it came out, as is customary in such fancy restaurants, they brought out a complimentary serving of delicious cheesy garlic bread. 



When my beef diablo came out I was quite shocked at the size of the portion, it seemed really big! I took the first bite and was transported to another world. The meat was so tender it just melted on your tongue. The sauce was so delicious, and it was served with thin slices of toasted French baguette. So delicious.


When I finished my appetizer I was so full, I could not imagine how anyone could eat three courses here. I asked my waiter if I had a bill to settle, he said no, and said I could leave whenever I was ready, but he said that there was one more thing to come out for me.

A few minutes later he returned with two large silver platters, one was filled with apples, pears, grapes, nuts and all sorts of fresh fruit. The other platter had a huge wedge of blue cheese with crackers and dates.

I had not been expecting this! I had to ask him if it was complimentary or if I had to pay for it. It, too, was complimentary. I could not believe it! So, I sat back in my chair and ate my grapes and cheese and pear. It was the best blue cheese I have ever tasted. Had I not been so full from the beef diablo, I could have easily finished the whole wedge. And the fruit was amazing. It was the perfect companion to the meal.

the photo quality is not very good, sorry

I left a tip for my waiter and simply left the restaurant, no bill. Amazing! As I crossed the carpark to my car I was laughing at my good fortune, going to one of Seattle's finest restaurants and not paying a penny! This coupon obsession sure is paying off!

Funnily enough, I was at a restaurant the other day and they had a book on the table about the meaning of names, I looked up mine and it said "Gina's favourite way to relax is by eating good food, and she could be considered to be quite a gastronome" haha! Well, I sure do love to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment