Thursday, November 15, 2012

Around Seattle: Seattle Aquarium

Several weeks ago now my friend and I went to the Seattle aquarium after church one day. It was perfect because on Sundays it is free to park on the streets downtown, so we were able to drive right up to the aquarium and practically park outside for freee!! I had not intended on going to the aquarium, let's just say that on my Seattle-to-do list of over 70 items, the aquarium did not feature at all. However, I had a coupon, and my friend suggested we go, so I did, and I am so glad I did!


The aquarium was so much more amazing than I thought it would be! It was not huge, but there was so much to see - so many interesting things!  There was a whole room of touch pools where you could really look at the different creatures and feel their skin, the tug of their little tentacles - awesome!

and so many colours!


amazing jellyfish tank

I'd like to be, under the sea, in an Octopus' garden in the shade

One thing that I did learn was about shark's teeth - I knew they had extra teeth that grew, and I knew they had rows of teeth in their mouth, but I did not know that they had so many rows of pre-grown teeth, tucked away in their jaws just waiting to pop up in the place of a broken tooth! They have so many hidden teeth, all ready to burst forth, just like those 'traffic spikes' that pop up and slash your tires if you drive on them the wrong direction. Nature is fascinating!
can you see the rows and rows tucked away in what would be the jaw?

I was also blown away by the range of different species of fish they had at the aquarium, the most beautiful fish I've ever seen, and such unusual colours and patterns!




all the colours of the rainbow

feather pen plants

haha classic NZ whale rider
I was so unexpectedly thrilled by the Seattle aquarium, I had a really great day and even better, I learned something too! After the aquarium we ate dinner at an Italian restaurant in Ballard and I had an eggplant pasta dish - my favourite!! Anything with eggplant in it and I am the happiest girl in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment