Friday, November 30, 2012

Thanksgiving, USA

The other week it was Thanksgiving! My very first American Thanksgiving!!

Thanksgiving originates from the first settlers to America, the Pilgrims. After arriving from a harrowing 66 day journey, they endured a frosty winter with lots of deaths, surviving mainly through stealing food from nearby Indian tribes. Then another Indian tribe took pity on them and took them under their wing, teaching them how to grow crops and other survival skills. After a successful summer harvest, the Pilgrims and Indians shared a huge feast in order to celebrate the harvest, a few years later it was dubbed as 'Thanksgiving', giving thanks for the harvest, and all that they had.

In New Zealand we do not have any sort of Thanksgiving celebration, and I was curious as to how it was to be celebrated.

Turns out I absolutely loved it - it is not commercial at all - no gifts are given, just a day to spend with family and friends (mostly family) and have a huge feast! It was so laid back and relaxing. The food consisted of roast turkey, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, salads, vegetables, fresh bread rolls; followed by a delicious dessert including pumpkin pie, ice cream, apple pie, and jelly with berries in it.





Around the lunch table we spoke of the past year and all the things we were thankful for in our own lives. I have so much to be thankful for, and it was great to reflect on the year. The food was delicious!

After lunch we were so full, so we took a break from eating and played outside and then took a nice long walk through the neighbourhood as an entire family, including my host dad's parents, and his sister and husband, and my au pair friend who celebrated with us. Walking around the neighbourhood was great, we walked to a lookout over the puget sound, so nice. There were lots of other groups of people walking around too, working up an appetite before eating more!

When we got home from the walk and cracked in to dessert! It was the first time I had tried pumpkin pie, and my my it was delicious!


I think Thanksgiving is something I will bring back with me to New Zealand, I love the idea of a non-commercial get together with family to be thankful for all the things we have and all the things we have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment