Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Halloweeeeeeen

Halloween in the States has been something I was so curious to experience. It is quite different to what we are told in New Zealand - over here it is not all about dressing up in scary costumes, it's more just a costume day - you can dress up as anything!!! Of course there are 'scary' things like haunted houses you can pay to enter ($18? to scare me? no thank you!). In fact, even many of the decorations are more the 'fall/harvest' theme rather than being spooky - for instance, there would be straw and pumpkins and leaves etc. This was so interesting to me because I thought it would all be scary - which I don't like anyway.

So it was great, I decided to dress up as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, I bought a cheap second hand dress and a piece of fabric which I cut into an apron. I got a cute pair of 'ruby slippers' and ribbons for my hair. All in all I think I spent $10 to buy everything - I love how cheap you can find things over here!!

The twins were the most adorable pirates, Kianna was a 50's poodle girl, Luca was a weird wizard, Maxime was a 'cereal' killer - covered in cereal boxes, and Vanessa my host mum was 'Pinkalicious' dressed all in pink. On halloween night we took our buckets and went to houses down our street to trick-or-treat. They have huge bowls of candy and you just take one and stash it into your bucket, the 'trick or treat' is mere formality. Really, what they should say is "Gimme the candy, Lady!". hahah!







One house we went to was incredible, the woman just loved halloween and would buy things for it all year long, so when we went there she had a huge bowl of candy which we took from, then she came out with another huge bowl of different candy! We took from that bowl, then she brings out ANOTHER bowl!!! It went on and on until, NO JOKE, she had brought out 12 bowls of things, some were chips, some popcorn, cookies, hot chocolate sachets, oatmeal sachets - it was crazy! I only trick or treated at 4 houses and this was my candy stash at the end of it:


The week before halloween, the older boys and the host dad had set up a haunted house in our basement for the neighbourhood kids to come to, so I was assigned a role and one Friday night we had all the neighbourhood kids and their parents over and they came through the haunted house in small groups for us to scare! Haha. It was a neat set up, they worked so hard to prepare it, there were spooky sounds, bones and skulls around the place, and the boys would leap out and scare people. My role was as a crazy doctor - I had a whole operating room complete with body parts and fake blood (read: fake blood, EVERYWHERE!!) and on my operating table was the boys' friend and neighbour who was my victim, I had a huge electric saw set up (with blade removed) and he had his leg in in so that when people would come into my operating room I would fire up the saw and cut off his leg! He would scream and cry and I would laugh a scary laugh! It was great fun! I loved it! Although by the end of it me and my poor victim were so sticky from the fake blood and so tired of screaming and crying that we just could not wait to have a shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment