Friday, March 16, 2012

An Adventure of Alaskan Proportions!

I have some wonderfully exciting news, I have booked my ticket on a 7 day cruise to Alaska! Seattle is a main port for cruise ships going to Alaska, and since I am right here I thought it was an unmissable opportunity to see Alaska!

In fact, it wasn't my idea - another au pair in my cluster was planning a cruise to Alaska, she told me about it and invited me to join her. I had never considered taking a cruise to Alaska as I thought the cost would be prohibitive for me, however Alaska was definitely one place that I really wanted to visit. As I thought about it more and more and researched cruise prices I realised that actually, taking a cruise is a very cost effective way to see Alaska because all your meals and accommodation and transportation are covered in one price! It was all falling into place, apart from one detail - the other au pair could only travel in July and I could only travel in May!

So I set to work finding a cruise partner to share the cost of the cabin, and thanks to the internet I found someone! She lives on the East side of the US and has done several cruises before - she is also a travel agent and was able to scout out the best deals! I was so rapt because it meant that I could go!

I am sailing in early May, visiting glaciers and all the other scenery and wildlife that goes with it - and even better is that since my travel partner found us such a great deal we were able to book a balcony cabin! I will be living a life of luxury for 7 days all while seeing some of the most amazing scenery in the world! Praise God!

This is the route our cruise will be taking:

This is what the ship looks like:

This is what I will look like on the ship:

And since cruise ships are an opportunity to dress up very fancy, I will embrace it with both hands and I am in the process of visiting second hand shops to find formal dresses and all the accessories I need to dress up for every occasion! 

No comments:

Post a Comment