Thursday, March 29, 2012

Around Seattle: Hiram M. Chittenden Locks and Fish Ladder

It always interests me to see locks and any activity in the water, there's always something interesting happening and always something to learn!

It was great to go and see the locks, it was in Ballard, a short distance from my church, and there was a quaint English garden to see as well!

My favourite part was the fish ladder where they had installed windows beneath the water level so you could see the fish as they went through the lock fish ladder system upsteam or downstream. Apparently later in the season there are lots of salmon that travel down there. The day that I was there I only saw two fish but that was thrilling enough for me, perhaps I will return later in the season and see the large numbers of salmon.


I saw a squirrel close up for once!
Oooh golden castle on the gate!


Fishing boat waiting for the lock to fill
Lock opening!



A reminder of home!


Solitary fish at the fish ladder 

The fish ladder viewing windows

No comments:

Post a Comment