Sunday, April 8, 2012

Around Seattle: Columbia City

Columbia City is a suburb of South Seattle which is a less well-off part of Seattle. In the 70's this neighbourhood experienced a lot of poverty and was at the heart of racial conflict and tension in Seattle. It is now a very diverse up & coming neighbourhood (I think the buzz word is 'gentrified') where a lot of churches are working hard to promote social justice. I have been wanting to visit this neighbourhood ever since I heard about it. I also had heard there was a very good bakery there!

I really enjoyed my afternoon in Columbia City, I got a great sandwich from a local cafe and then went and had a treat at the bakery - a type of cake I've never tried before called tres leches. I had a little look around the shops and I really enjoyed the vibe of the place -everything felt so down to earth and a little more "gritty" and not so polished, which I liked :)


Trying a special cake called "tres leches" where the cake is soaked in three types of milk  - but do you know what? I really didn't like it, I couldn't even eat half of it - which is unheard of for me! haha










I fell in love with this house!


No comments:

Post a Comment