Monday, April 23, 2012

Tulip Festival Roadtrip!

Last weekend I wasn't working, so I took the opportunity to plan a trip to the well known Tulip Festival of Skagit Valley, about 1 hour north of Seattle. Gabriela, my fellow au pair traveller came with me, and we plotted out a route that included La Conner (a small town near the tulip farms); Deception Pass (I have been there before but she hadn't seen it); and then a ferry trip to Port Townsend. I have been wanting to visit Port Townsend for a while since I have heard so many good things about it. More about that in a bit. After Port Townsend we would drive over to Kingston and catch another ferry back to Edmonds, a short drive from my house. Here is our route on the map:


The Tulip Festival

The annual tulip festival happens only in April when the tulips grown for national (and international?) export are at their absolute finest! They stretch for miles and miles at these huge tulip farms. When I walked in, I immediately thought I was in the Netherlands because that is how these wonderful floral pastures look! 
I just loved being at the tulip festival, people watching as everyone took photos and posed in front of fields that seemed to go on forever.  













La Conner

Our second stop was La Conner, it was such a sweet little town with a great vibe, we grabbed a burger from a streetside barbeque stall and walked around the shops, had a look in a traditional tea house, got some scones, and looked at the historic houses, including this grand old mansion in the picture below! Oooh what a special treat for me, I just love historic homes!







Cute little lawn art of some sheep!

Deception Pass

Deception Pass is the bridge that connects Whidbey Island to Fidalgo Island. The old bridge really is a beautiful sight to see, and the view from there is magnificent, so I was excited to return there and see it in the perfect sunshine.





Port Townsend

Port Townsend is a small, historic port town of the late 1800s. As with Alki Beach, it was originally planned as the New York of the west, it didn't quite make it to that stage, but it has turned in to the most charming little place one can imagine! We sat in the warm afternoon sun and cafe-hopped to get the best of the view and the most comfortable position! The buildings were so amazing, brick with huge doorways and window frames. The post office looked like a castle! Maybe it was the weather, or maybe it was the food or the surrounds but so far I would have to say that Port Townsend has been my favourite place to visit and I would love to go back sometime!






















No comments:

Post a Comment