Sunday, April 8, 2012

Letterboxing at Richmond Beach Park

A friend of mine told me about this activity called 'Letterboxing' where people place rubber stamps in a little container with a notebook and hide it somewhere in the community, then they post clues on where to find it on the Letterboxing website and others can read the clues and find the box for themselves. When you go to look for it you have to take a rubber stamp of your own and an ink pad and notebook. You stamp their stamp in your notebook and stamp your stamp in their notebook, leaving the date and your made up letterboxing name.

Ever since I heard about this I wanted to try it. At first I didn't believe that people would actually hide stamps in boxes at random parks but it turns out that it is quite popular and there are 'letterboxes' to find all over the place! One was listed as being at Richmond Beach Park, which is 5 minutes from my house! I was determined to go and find it! I got an ink pad and borrowed a stamp from my host mother, got a notepad and took off! I followed the clues, all the while enjoying the sunshine and the trail - I really felt like a treasure hunter!

I found it fairly easily, and it was such a thrill to stamp it in my book and to stamp mine in their book. Hopefully I can do some more letterboxing!










The hiding place!
If you look closely you can just see the container sticking out from underneath the tree stump!
Found it! This is what a 'letterbox' looks like! (It was too windy to take photos of the actual stamps, sorry folks! Maybe next time :) )



No comments:

Post a Comment